Friday, January 28, 2011

When Do Two Negatives Make a Positive?

(WARNING: Poop happens, so if that bothers you, you probably should NOT read this blog.)

Because of the chronic pain from my broken back, I take an opioid pain medication (morphine). (I won’t take the time to explain safe use, storage and disposal – just know that I do them all.) One of the most pronounced negative side effects of opioid use is constipation. Sometimes it can be bad enough where a person has to take action (like increasing fiber intake, taking stool softeners, etc) to reduce the constipation. Luckily, the medicine only causes mild constipation in me.

Fast forward to the present. A couple months ago, I was prescribed the anti-depressant Effexor. The doctor said one of the most common negative side effects with this medicine is loose bowel movements or diarrhea.

Put those two negative side effects together in me – and they seem to off-set each other. A positive reaction: more regular poop. Poop happens and it’s much better when it happens regularly. So two negatives can make a positive!

No comments: