Friday, January 7, 2011

Soup and Sandwich


My husband has traditional traits. Dinner should include meat, starch and veggies (and probably a glass of wine). Soup and sandwich for dinner? Not in his repertoire. But that doesn't stop me from experimenting. At least my experimenting included one of his favorites – beans (and if his sons are reading this, yup, Dad still has the traditional bean aftermath!).

Soup from a can and a simple grilled cheese sandwich are not good enough for my main man. I made homemade Tuscan Bean Soup, rosemary peasant bread and a grilled cheddar cheese, bacon and apple sandwich. YUM!

I did cheat a little and used beans (kidney, cannelloni and chick peas) from the can and chicken stock from the box, but I chopped fresh onions, carrots, celery and garlic (and used frozen tomatoes that I grew this past summer). Plus I used fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano and a bay leaf from my garden.

The peasant bread is similar to restaurant bread where you dip it in the oil on the plate. It was an easy (but time-consuming) recipe with NO kneading. A very sticky dough requiring well-oiled hands. I love warm homemade bread with dinner.

Finally, I used some of the peasant bread and made delicious grilled sandwiches overflowing with cheddar cheese, bacon and Granny Smith apple slices.

What did Mike say about a non-traditional dinner? “Yum.” When I asked for specific feedback (I’m all about continuous improvement), he said, “Yum. Yum. (dramatic pause) I’d like to have this again.” I guess that says it all.

The only downside was (no, not the clean-up …. in our house, whoever cooks gets to rest and the other person cleans up) so much chopping. After I just blogged about pushing yourself and not taking pain medicine unless you REALLY need it …. I really need it. OUCH and YUM!

1 comment:

Katie said...

This does look yummy! I'd love to try it sometime, but Jason wouldn't eat anything except the bread, so will need to do so when he's not around. :)