Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tragedy in Tucson: Politics or Parenting?

Along with everyone else, I am sending prayers to all those affected by the senseless shooting last weekend in Tucson, Arizona.

Should we blame it on today’s political environment? How about gun laws? Or maybe the mental health system? Or maybe there is no blame … it is what it is.

I have an opinion. Why don’t we look at parenting? Parents need to know what is going on in their children’s lives. Some parenting ‘experts’ say – Foster their creativity. Give them their freedom. Promote independence. Urge them to dream. Inspire them to be who they are.

What about boundaries … and discipline … and being involved. I’m not saying that parenting can solve all problems, and I’m not saying to smother creativity, freedom and independence; however, I believe parenting makes a difference.

We seem to live in a world of entitlement where everyone thinks the world revolves around them and they deserve stuff … without earning it.

Many times we parents act (we really believe we are) too busy and forget that parenting is a total commitment. We are thrilled when the kid is behind closed doors and quiet, or out with friends – so we can do what we want to do.

We don’t make it a priority to know what’s going on in our children’s lives. I don’t care if it takes spying or prying, it is a parent’s responsibility to know what their kids are doing, who they are friends with, how they are feeling, etc. And, when necessary, we need to step in and take action to change their direction.

Finally, I do not believe that parents are/should be/ can be their child’s friend. I am the parent – not the friend.

Parenting is an awesome responsibility and not to be taken lightly. We cannot stand back and expect our kids to grow up to be productive members of society if we don’t lead, teach and model that behavior.

I guess it’s my pet peeve. It’s easy to have a baby – it’s tough to be a parent. Perhaps if we parents took it more seriously; got help when we need it; and stayed involved in our children’s lives, we could stop some of this insane behavior.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Just saw this, and it made me think of your post. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' husband says:

"I don't think it's their fault. It's not the parents' fault," Mark Kelly told ABC's Diane Sawyer in an interview to air Tuesday. "You know, I'd like to think I'm a person that's, you know, somewhat forgiving. And, I mean, they've got to be hurting in this situation as much as anybody."