Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Day of Learning – Part 2

My learning (this time about some people) continued yesterday at my regular monthly appointment at the Pain Clinic. In an effort to avoid a repeat of last month’s three minute appointment, I went in with an extremely positive and upbeat attitude (I also drank a lot of water on the way figuring it was time for a random pee in the cup drug test).

While I’m not a fan of being required to have a drug test to see the doctor, I am learning to be more accepting of it. That’s the way it is (and I’m not going to change it). It makes me feel like a criminal when I've done nothing wrong. However, the more I learn about drug abuse and diversion, the more I understand why it is required. They are checking to make sure I have the right amount of the prescribed medicines in my system. One time an upstanding, well-dressed, intelligent woman came to the pain clinic. For several months in a row, her drug test showed ZERO medicines in her system. She didn't really need the medicine, never took it and instead sold the pills (did you know one oxycodone pill can get $15 on the street). Come on people. Stop making it harder for people like me who live with pain and welcome the relief prescription pain medication gives. As the doctor said, it’s about being trustworthy.

After the pee in the cup discussion, my doctor and I discussed body awareness. I have both extended release (ER) and immediate release (IR) pain medicine. ER is taken every 12 hours to keep the pain in check. The IR is ONLY used when there is a major flare-up. Yet, the doctor gave me examples of people who took IR three times a day whether they really needed or not.

We have to know our bodies and the seriousness of the medicines. Each of us probably wakes up from time to time with aches and pains – that doesn't mean it’s a flare-up and you can take morphine. When I have LOWER back pain (unrelated to my broken back, but maybe caused by lifting incorrectly), I do NOT take morphine – that’s not what it was prescribed for.

People in pain need to push themselves. I don’t mean we need to physically hurt ourselves or cause more damage, but we need to stop wallowing around in self-pity and try to do as much as we can before we give up and pop another pill.

And we need to take responsibility for our medication (lock them up people). One guy decided the people in his house weren't trustworthy so he locked his medicines in his car. Three months in a row, he came to the pain clinic with a police report saying his medicine was stolen from the car and he needed another prescription. REALLY? No. Capital NO. H. E. L. L. NO. Get real and get trustworthy.

So, part 2 of learning is related to people, their excuses, stories and gimmicks. I want to believe in the good in people. And while I believe that most people in pain are legitimate, I wish I never had to learn about how people lie, cheat and steal.

No comments: