Wednesday, January 19, 2011

5 Steps to Safe Use of Rx

I haven’t written too much lately about my pain and my pain medications. I find that continual talk about pain ensures that the pain remains #1 on my brain … and that’s painful (and tiring). However, safe use of prescription medications is always on my mind. Many states, including North Carolina, are finding ways to fight prescription drug abuse/diversion. I don’t believe it should be up to the government. I think I need to be responsible for my medication … and I believe YOU need to be responsible for YOUR medication.

Dr. Herbert Neuman, of Covidien Pharmaceuticals and the C.A.R.E.S. (Collaborating and Acting Responsibly to Ensure Safety) Alliance recently wrote a good article with 5 steps for safe use of prescription medications. His steps are:

  1. Use only as directed. If a pain medication does not provide sufficient relief, talk to your doctor about other options. Simply increasing the dose can be dangerous.
  2. Never share. National research shows that approximately 70% of abuse cases begin with a legitimate prescription that is shared by a friend or relative, often with the good intention of helping relieve a loved one’s pain.
  3. Lock it up. Cases of abuse by family members or others who steal prescriptions are all too common. Medicine cabinets, accessible by all, including visitors, are NOT the place for most prescription medicines.
  4. Dispose of extras. Check with the DEA or local drug stores for the next drug collection day. This eliminates the potential for theft or misuse of unused medications.
  5. Spread the word. If we work together, we can make a difference. Are you taking responsibility for your medicines? Check out the C.A.R.E.S. Alliance or the American Pain Foundation’s PainSafe site for more information.

No comments: