Friday, January 14, 2011

Making Decisions for Other People

I just finished watching a Toyota commercial. I have seen it numerous times – and each time it irritates me. I want to know if this is normal.

In this particular Toyota commercial, a couple is searching for a new car. A second man enters the picture and calls the first man, “Buzz. Buzz Saw?” ‘Buzz’ and his woman/wife look at each other. The other man says the old band is getting back together and would ‘Buzz Saw’ be interested. Now, my irritation.

‘Buzz’ doesn't give the first answer. Before gathering any information, or talking it over, the woman declares, “NO.” And there it is, the woman decided that her man was NOT going to participate in the band.

Whoa! Wait a second. Who is she that she can make final decisions for her mate? What if he wants to do it? Doesn't he get a say so (or at least the ability to explain)?

I don’t ‘own’ my husband (and he doesn't own me). Sure, we collaborate and discuss and make joint decisions, but we don’t answer for each other. Do you feel you ‘own’ your mate and can make decisions for him/her? Do you like it when someone decides for you?

I know, it’s only a commercial, but it may portray actual life ... and that doesn't sit well with me. At least it isn't the Geico commercial in which the little piggy says ‘wheeeeee’ all the way home!

No comments: