Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Place for Everything and Everything in its Place (ALMOST)


I have been in a major de-cluttering mood lately (and it’s not even spring cleaning time). How come our home offices always get so cluttered? It seems like everything ends up in the office.

Today I am feeling good because my home office is newly refreshed, clean, organized … almost. As you can see, my desk (right) is neat. Back in my General Motors/Saturn years, we went through a period where all of our desks were marked with tape where everything went – phone, note pad, scotch tape, etc … all had specific places. Now, I haven’t gone that overboard, but I definitely found a neat, organized place for everything (on my side).

Mike’s side is a little different. I did clean and dust everything on Mike’s desk. He has SOOOOO many wires though, I gave up trying to make them neat. And, notice the box on the floor next to Mike’s desk – that’s all his ‘extra’ stuff that doesn’t have a good home. Ranging from old (very old) games to notes to extra cables, I put everything that didn’t fit into a box. I wonder how long before Mike makes an effort to go through the box. I’m not holding my breath. Next week, I’ll just haul the box to the basement for storage and see if Mike even misses anything.

The frustrating part? I went through a box of old pens/markers to throw away those that no longer wrote. Tried each one. Not heavy lifting, no big movements, but that repetitive click, scribble, click … probably 150 times or so … took me down. OUCH! Even though it hurt my back/shoulder, it was worth it in the long run!

I know that in time, more stuff will just appear, but for now, I love the clean office!

No comments: