Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tests and Timing

This week, I had a bone density scan and a mammogram – part of my annual physical routine. The mammogram is no big deal. As I have written before, this is the time I appreciate my large chest. Big boobs are much easier to mammogram; there is something to put on the table and x-ray. Women who have no boobs face extra pulling and squeezing. Not that it is unbearable to anyone – so get your mammogram!

I am interested in the results of the bone density scan. Since I broke my back, I have had these scans every two years. Just want to make sure that the bones are not getting brittle or more fragile. Don’t want another break! For several years, I took fosamax (you have seen the ads; it promotes bone density and growth). Sounds good, but there are some risks. Since I started taking it well before menopause (the normal time to start) and have taken it for so long, I decided to take a break. Now this scan will show the results of NOT taking the fosamax. Then we’ll determine next steps.

The other issue this week is WAITING. My regular counselor suggested I go see a psychiatrist (I’m not ready to discuss the personal part of the counseling yet). So I called for an appointment. The doctor can see me Monday, November 15 (a cancellation) or December 16 – nothing in between. And they require a credit card authorized for a $225 fee if I don’t show up or cancel. Rationally or logically, I understand – doctors are busy and their time is worth money. Of course, I’m not totally rational or logical right now – that’s probably why I am going to a psychiatrist. I don’t like giving out my credit card number when I don’t know you; $225 is a lot of money AND I don’t think anyone should be so busy they can’t see your for five weeks. And the person who answered was NOT anything near empathetic when I voiced my concerns.

I still don’t get the medical community. Unfortunately, I am forced to play their games.

No comments: