Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Night of More Sleep


Yesterday, I picked up my SomnoMed Mandibular Advancement Splint (MAS) … translated, my mouthpiece that is supposed to help me sleep with sleep apnea. Skeptical me – it worked! I actually woke up almost refreshed.

It’s bulky, hard plastic (doesn’t bother me while I’m sleeping) and has a funny plastic taste (the dentist said that would go away soon). No mouth pain; no gasping or CPAP noise; no air in my stomach or air blowing on Mike. So far, so good.

I wore it ALL night. Mike said I didn’t gasp and that I slept a lot quieter. I feel more refreshed. It didn’t stop the need to change positions during the night to combat back pain, BUT it did eliminate the waking up from sleep apnea and CPAP issues. So, on the first night, I reduced my awake time by 2/3. I think that’s a good first night.

Without getting my expectations too high, I really, really, really want this to work in the long run. It may look funny, but sleep is so much more important than vanity.

No comments: