Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hoarding Christmas Decorations

I started sorting through the Christmas decorations yesterday. What should this year’s theme be? Do we need more lights? Do we need more ornaments? Why is it that we keep collecting more and more Christmas stuff, but never throw/give any of it away?

I spent Friday going through the boxes. I plugged in EVERY set of lights I could find. If they didn’t work, I threw them out – let’s face it, I’m never going to go through to find the one bulb that doesn’t work and replace it. I still have more than enough lights to do the tree in all white or multi-colored (plus all red or all purple – yup, Katie and I did a purple and gold tree one year back when it was trendy).

I have handmade crocheted snowflake ornaments, all colors of balls, gold chains, gold garland, antique plastic icicles and several fancy ornaments. I don’t use most of them, and know that realistically I never will, but still, I never seem able to dispose of anything. This year, I am going to really try to reduce my hoard of Christmas decorations.

It’s been a long weekend. After peeling potatoes and sweet potatoes, chopping onions, baking bread for the dressing, chopping fruit for the waldorf salad and baking dinner rolls – for the feast for just Mike on me on Thanksgiving … and then setting up the tree and putting on the lights on Friday, my back and shoulder are not working today. They probably won’t work for several days. I enjoy doing things, but my body no longer allows me to do all I want to do. Oh well, now I will spend this week recuperating and resting for the Nashville trip and Brady’s first birthday.

No comments: