Friday, October 22, 2010

I like Duke and my “new” shoulder

First, the funny feeling in my shoulder after yesterday’s cortisone injection has gone away. Hubby Mike says it might have been a temporary nerve block that caused a kind of/sort of paralysis feeling in my arm. It just didn’t feel right – like after having Novocain in the mouth and your face feels funny. But that’s gone now. And after ice and an ibuprofen last night, my shoulder is at about 85%. HOORAY! I could even sleep on my right side again. I like this!

This morning, I went to see a different Uro/Gyn. I told you a while back that I had that embarrassing personal problem – a uterine prolapse. The first doctor I went to (ok, I’ll tell you … she was in the UNC healthcare system) did not meet my expectations. I should have figured it out when she said, “I treat hundred of these every month, it’s no big deal.” That might be true to her, but to me, I was the ONLY ONE that mattered. After two appointments and two different pessaries – neither which fit or helped – I decided a different medical team was needed.

I went to the Duke Women’s Specialty Center. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. Nurse was friendly, supportive and helpful. First doctor, a fellow, was wonderful. She went through my history thoroughly and with much insight. Doctor was great too! They measured, fit, suggested, recommended, laughed, gave me time to ask questions and walk around to see if this pessary was the one. Time will tell on the actual comfort of the pessary, but they even gave me options on returning as needed. YIPPEE!!!

So, today, my private parts are happier, my shoulder is working and I’m concentrating on getting the t5 back pain under control (I don’t mind because it’s more irritated because I got to hold and play with baby Brady so much last weekend). The bad news, I stepped on the scale. An ice cream binge and last weekend’s eating Chik-Fila, Arby’s, Cici’s Pizza and JAlexanders (as well as airport snacks) added up. I’ll tell you what I’m doing about that later.

No comments: